Conservation of Related Materials
Archives and private collections will often contain a wide variety of materials, not just book and archival material. I will occasionally work on objects that contain paper or leather etc.
Charles Dickens Chair
• Laminated paper seat of chair
• Large section detached
• Large tear running to front of seat
• Nails lifting and nail holes broken
• Section reattached
• Large tear repaired
• Nail holes repaired and nails replaced
Man and Women Figures, Leather Covered Glass Bottles owned by the National Leather Collection
Papier Mache Trinket Box
Thomas Mudge Clock Case with Shagreen Band
• Vellum lampshade covered in signatures, numerous watersoluble inks used
• Large tear runs from top to bottom
This clock was made by Thomas Mudge in 1779, and it represented an historical milestone in the development of clocks that is still in use today.
The case it sits in has a green shagreen band around the perimeter.
It was cracked in several place with pieces missing.
The shagreen was removed, repaired and re attached
Leather Covered Boxes
Leather boxes come in all shapes and sizes.
This one is for a rolled vellum manucsript with with large wax seal attached.
The leather can become damaged and the lid detached when the hinge tears.